Salary: from £75,000
CD: not specified
Small Robot Company is reimagining farming with robotics and artificial intelligence.
Our vision is to make food production sustainable, reducing farming’s impact on the environment and increasing farm outputs globally. Our farmbots Tom, Dick and Harry will plant, feed and weed arable crops autonomously, with minimal waste.
Behind the robots is Wilma – Wilma is the boss.
Wilma uses precise, up to date data from Tom and converts it into crop care instructions that can be verified by the farmer and implemented by Dick. Wilma makes decisions, decisions which will take into account agronomy, soil science, market conditions and much more.
Wilma takes data and expertise then applies artificial intelligence to provide better outcomes for our farmers.
Wilma is a scalable, extensible, platform capable of handling and processing huge data volumes and able to provide Per Plant Farming decisions. Wlma is to provide prediction, advice and instruction for our robotic service allowing the farmer to optimise use of the field. Wilma allows the farmer to reduce cost, reduce environmental impact and improve yield.
Small Robot Company is hiring for a new role: Head of Intelligence.
The role will lead the work to bring automated intelligence into our products and services. Delivering on the promise of Per Plant Farming by use of cutting-edge AI and autonomous decision making.
The Head will lead a small team of data science and AI specialists able to work with our Software Development team to design, plan and build our vision for Wilma’s Intelligence. The role will link into our product innovation team and feed through to our engineering capability.
Currently Small Robot Company uses ML and computer vision to recognise weeds and a rules engine to generate a plan for treatment. The role will help us to expand Wilma’s capabilities to automate more of the decisions made across the field, across the season, across the farm and across all of our farmers.
Context: – other teams at SRC that will link with the Intelligence team
- Software Development
- Product Innovation
- Robotics and Engineering
- User Experience
- Proven history of development and deployment of deep neural networks as well as other machine learning models in real world scenarios in cases such as computer vision and sensor fusion.
- Experience with processing real world messy and noisy data.
- Familiar with Python, R, Java, Git, Trello, and Cloud Computing
- Experience with deep learning libraries such as TensorFlow or PyTorch.
- Experience in deploying neural networks on a range of hardware (from cloud based servers to single board computers).
- Managing huge datasets and designing algorithms that can scale to use trillions of data points
- Big data expertise e.g. Elastic Search or other big data approaches
- Dealing with precise, geospatially referenced data
- Owning the strategy for how we can add automated decision capabilities into Wilma
- Identifying 3rd party data to be used in our systems
- Identifying new data for SRC to collect and generate
- Building PoC and prototype AI systems (with Software Dev Team)
- External representation of SRC in the AI/Data Science and w Community.
- Managing and growing a Data Intelligence team at Small Robot Company
- Continually learning and bringing into the team, new analytical skills, techniques and tools to maximise competitive advantage.
- Partnering with internal subject matter experts and business owners to discuss potential opportunities, investments, and/or acquisitions.
- Managing engagement with Universities and other research organisations including at least one PhD student.
The successful candidate will have:
- Technical credibility and experience in applying Data Science to real world problems to derive actionable insights from data.
- Specific experience in the use of data science tools and techniques such as machine learning, simulation, mathematical modelling and analysis, algorithm development and statistical analysis.
- Experience of interacting with clients or customers to identify requirements, advise on direction and produce development roadmaps.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and be able to lead and mentor a team
More about the company:
Small Robot Company HQ is based in West Dean which is just outside of Salisbury (easily commutable from Southampton, Basingstoke, Winchester, Andover and the Thames Valley tech corridor) we have a forward thinking, modern and charismatic team who understand that work is a part of life and flexible working arrangements are key to success in a modern world.
We are all hard working, dedicated and passionate about what we do and are looking for a new team member that can mirror these qualities in the role outlined. In return, we offer a fabulous working package with the flexibility to work remotely or from home at agreed hours to suit yourself.
We also believe that diverse teams really are the best teams. We understand that people are comfortable with and therefore seek familiarity, making it vitally important to us to create as diverse a team as we can whilst we are small, so that as we grow our diversity grows organically with us.
We also know that candidates may be put off applying for a job unless they can tick every box. If you are excited about our company, the role and working with us and think you can do much of what we are looking for but aren’t sure if you are 100% there yet… why not give it a whirl?
What we offer:
- A future-oriented job in a quickly growing start-up
- Mud and fresh air – you will never suffer from pollution here
- As an early employee, you will be deeply involved in the success of the Company
- An opportunity to influence the development of one of the most exciting companies in the UK
- Eco-bragging rights and photo opportunities in major press publications
The other bits & pieces:
- People with current UK and EU work visas only, please.
- Due to the volume of applications, we may only be able to respond to successful applicants.
- This role is a permanent role starting as soon as possible and includes a 6-month probationary period.
- Salary from £60,000 for a normal 40 hours / week
Please send us your CV and a couple of paragraphs outlining your best moments from your career so far.