Salary: not specified
CD: not specified
Location: Spalding, Lincolnshire
RespoElsoms are recruiting for a Micropropagation Specialist to join our Plant Breeding team. The successful applicant will have responsibility for the management of all aspects of the micropropagation service, including routine production of double haploid and tissue culture plants and research and development work, contributing to the success of Elsoms’ breeding activities.
|KEY RESPONSIBILITIES||1. At all times, maintain Elsoms’ strong Health & Safety culture and practices.
2. Identify customer needs, and plan and prioritise work to meet realistic, mutually agreed deadlines. Manage the routine micropropagation service to fulfil the requirements of the customer.
3. Produce high quality double haploid and tissue culture plants. Maintain healthy donor plants and carry out micropropagation according to lab protocols.
4. Develop micropropagation techniques for relevant crops where we do not have working methods, or as directed by customer projects.
5. Undertake and data analysis and present results in a way that can be easily interpreted by the customer.
6. Maintain effective communication with customers, including regular updates and successful delivery of results.
7. Look to improve efficiencies within the function and reduce costs.
8. Day to day management of the micropropagation function including ordering of equipment and consumables, maintenance and servicing activities for laboratory equipment, scheduling staff and management of students.
9. Management of internal and external micropropagation projects, maintaining strong collaboration with partners.
10. Maintain a clean and safe working environment, and that safe working practices are established according to Health & Safety standards, including the storing, documenting and disposal of chemicals, hazardous substances and organisms.
11. Keep procedures and protocols up to date and maintain accurate laboratory records.
12. Review existing knowledge base and current practices and investigate novel techniques/technologies to embed at Elsoms.
13. Liaise and collaborate with researchers and institutes to further develop our knowledge and improve on existing/new practices.
14. Where possible, create intellectual property for Elsoms.
15. Manage, support, and motivate team to ensure all staff are competent, trained to meet requirements for the business and able to achieve their maximum potential. Ensure goals and research aims are understood by the whole team.
16. Attend regular meetings to discuss workload, share knowledge, identify and resolve problems, and raise any health and safety issues.
17. Actively contribute to the departmental strategy/goals and support other departmental managers.
|QUALIFICATIONS||· A graduate qualification in relevant subjects.
· A post-graduate qualification in a relevant subject, is desirable.
· GLP/COSHH training is desirable.
|EXPERIENCE||· Significant experience working in plant biology/micropropagation.
· Significant experience working in a laboratory.
· Experience developing and following laboratory protocols.
|SKILLS||· Excellent scientific knowledge.
· Excellent scientific method.
· Excellent attention to detail.
· Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Excellent literacy and numeracy skills.
· Excellent planning and organizing skills.
· Excellent level of computer literacy, including familiarity with Microsoft Office applications.
· An ability to take a lead role in designated areas of responsibility.
· An ability to work independently, without instruction, to ensure the task is completed to a consistently to a high standard.
· Equally capable of working alone or as part of a team.
· An ability to communicate appropriately with team members and internal and external contacts.
· Excellent collaboration skills.
· Ability to remain calm and focused when working under pressure.
|PERSON SPECIFICATION||· Someone who understands the company values and proactively tries to live by them at work.
· Someone who takes health and safety seriously.
· A highly motivated individual, who is passionate about their subject.
· Someone with a flexible approach to working hours to meet business/work demands.
· Someone who can actively share their knowledge and experience with others.
· Someone who is interested in continuous improvement.
· Someone who is open to giving and receiving constructive feedback and can encourage new ideas from team members.
· Someone who leads by example and encourages a safe and healthy work environment for the team.
· This role requires some business travel within Europe which may occur outside standard working hours.
· A full driving licence is required.
For more information and to apply, please visit the Elsom’s website,