Salary: £70,000 – £100,000 + company shares
CD: not specified
Did you know that 1/3 of all food produced is wasted?
Or that we need to increase food production by 70% before 2050 to meet the demands of our growing population?
At Better Origin, we are passionate about building a better future. Our vision is to fix the broken food chain by reintroducing insects in the food supply chain. We want to democratise insect farming and empower any farmer in the world to be part of the solution.
About us: Building a sustainable food chain
Better Origin is a Cambridge-based start-up securing the future of food for generations to come.
Our product, the Better Origin X1, is the world’s first AI-powered insect mini-farm. Inside what looks like a shipping container, technology and nature work together to convert waste into high-value nutrients.
The insect farming industry is growing fast, and we are developing it with the farmer at heart. Unlike most companies within the sector, we produce decentralised modules that can be implemented anywhere in the world. This approach is more scalable, sustainable, and has proven to be more resilient in light of tumultuous global events.
The X1 is just the beginning – the opportunities for the use of insects in human and pet food, as well as in non-food products, are endless.
Why work for us?
We are growing fast – our sales have quadrupled in 2020 and the size of our team has doubled. Now is an exceptional time to join our team of 12 at an early stage of our journey. You will be working alongside brilliant, creative people, all connected by a goal of making a difference in the world.
We’ve built a friendly, collaborative culture where we encourage disruptive thinking and a growth hacking mentality. We are a flexible team focused on adaptability and delivering results. We have informal ‘Games Nights’ and ‘Pizza in the Pub’ on alternate Fridays and team-building activities throughout the year while we embrace flexible working with a blend of home, office, and fieldwork as needed.
We have just closed a $3m investment round and we are in the process of scaling up our team, operations, and manufacturing, so we got a very exciting year ahead.
If you are looking to shape a new industry and solve global-reaching problems, then we would love to hear from you.
We have developed a product with cost-effectiveness and robustness at heart but with the ‘brainpower’ to work autonomously. Your mission is to take our working, revenue-generating pilot to a commercial and scaled-up product.
This is a position for an exceptional hands-on engineering leader who has a passion for solving complex problems and demonstrable experience in delivering finished products. The ideal candidate will love working with hardware and software and will be curious about computer vision and AI.
- Complete technical ownership – own the product from a technical perspective, design, manufacturing and improvements process on the path to take it from the first five (5) units to the first hundred (100)
- Develop and scale the X1 – with commercial viability and the customer experience in mind
- Driving the development of the product roadmap – in line with the executive team and external stakeholders
- Technical lead and line management – of multidisciplinary engineering team (now 5 members and likely to grow the team to double within 2 years)
- Introduce rhythm and structure to our working practices– develop and own our engineering operating cadence (OKRs and KPIs tracking)
- Participate in strategic decision making – together with the executive team work to navigate the product through the growing industry
The position reports to the CEO.
What we’re looking for:
- You have experience in scaling B2B products from pilot to commercial
- You have excellent knowledge of manufacturing processes of complex engineering products, particularly with a software element
- You have experience in building in Design for Test (DfX), Manufacturing and Maintenance considerations within the design and manufacturing process
- You can break down complex problems into simple engineering solutions
- Demonstrable commercial awareness as part of product development
- Experience managing an engineering team
- Strong project management experience
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Organised, data-driven mind
- Enthusiasm for innovation in product development
- Exposure and awareness of AI
- Supply chain management
- Start-up/small company mindset
- Enthusiasm for sustainability and green technology
- Experience working in both small and large corporations
Share options scheme
26 days holiday
For more information and to apply, please visit the company website.