Weather Logistics is a Climate technology company with a focus on de-risking food production through adaptive growing practices. Established in 2014, previous projects include a European Space Agency funded kick-start activity, a feasibility study for a Deloitte supported competition working with a top-fruit grower, and several UK Space Agency funded projects. Consultancy has included validation work for AgSpace Agriculture and Agrimetrics, and a partnership to explore weather-related crop performance for NIAB East Malling. From spring 2020, Weather Logistics undertook a paid contract with one of the UK’s largest producer organisations. Pivoting over the past 6-months, the company is now exploring climate services for re/insurance markets. Work is underway to market its data services through three insurance marketplaces from spring 2022.
The company’s founder and Chief Technology Officer, Dr Christopher Nankervis, holds a PhD in the Atmospheric Sciences from The University of Edinburgh. He has a strong Data Science expertise. Previously leading innovation projects and R&D activities, most recent he initiated, and supported, the first-of-its-kind prediction market for wheat yields in the United Kingdom. Recently he also completed a Nottingham Business School accelerator programme, and as from December 2020 is accredited through the Carbon Literacy Project.
Weather Logistics’ current service offering is to help re/insurers better price crop risk; support growers and farmers to understand and develop a climate resilience plan and diversify or adapt their operations; and support access to sustainable finance to recover from extreme weather where its impacts are most costly.
We believe that farm-scale knowledge of local weather and climate risk supports multi-site operational planning and pricing for finance allocation. Unique to our service is:
- Best-on-market performance in short-term climate prediction, using well-established climate indices and weather models from global providers
- Facilitating hedging and insurance pricing for the current growing season, through an ensemble of the current climate
- Insights into daily weather perils, such as air frost damage, disease outbreaks, drought, and heat stress damage, linked to agricultural losses
- Specialist and rigorous approach. Currently in a brokerage for product assessment by the UK’s measurement standards agency
- Agronomy partnership to support detections of crop type, field boundaries, historical yield information for each field, and estimates of maximum obtainable yield
The company provides novel insights into weather perils linked to volatility in crop performance. This technology enables accurate estimates of the likelihood and severity of weather events in the upcoming growing season, and up to the year 2040. We help address questions such as: which farms are likely to experience flood losses over the next 5 years? What are the yield losses through chill days, and what is the irrigation water demand for future summers?
Please follow us on Twitter: @ukclimate
We’re also active on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/weather-logistics-uk/