Weather Logistics is a ClimateTech firm. Its vision is to help re(in)insurers better price crop risk; support growers and farmers to understand and develop a climate resilience plan and diversify/ adapt their operations; and support access to sustainable finance to recover from extreme weather where its impacts are most costly.
Our farm-scale knowledge of climate risk supports multi-site operational planning:
- Best-on-market performance in short-term climate prediction, using well-established climate indices and weather models from global providers to estimate basis risk/ price uncertainties through a farm-scale probabilistic ‘ensemble’
- Estimate crop insurance claims within the current growing season, or for many different realisations of the current climate, rather than using outdated weather histories
- Reliable insights into daily weather perils, such as air frost damage, disease outbreaks, drought, and heat stress damage, linked to agricultural losses
- Specialist and rigorous approach. Currently in a brokerage for product assessment by the UK’s measurement standards agency
- Agronomy partnership to support detections of crop type, field boundaries, historical yield information for each field, and estimates of maximum obtainable yield
The company provides novel insights into weather perils linked to volatility in crop performance. This technology enables accurate estimates of the likelihood and severity of weather events in the current growing season, but also applicable to a future climate.
We work closely with grower cooperative to address their individual climate concerns that may impact their operations: which farm fields are most likely to experience floods over the next 5 years, and for how long will this impact my operations? What are the average chill days for my orchard in 2030, and will this impact next year’s production? What is the irrigation water demand for the upcoming summer, and what is the worse-case-scenario for droughts over the next 15 years?
Please follow us on Twitter: @ukclimate
We’re also active on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/weather-logistics-uk/