Salary: £28,000 – £40,000 depending on experience
CD: Thursday 22nd October 2020
This role is officially office-based out of either Boxworth, Cambridge or Milton Park, Oxford. However, we have a flexible approach to working, especially during the uncertainty of COVID-19. At present, the whole team is working from home and currently expects to continue in that vein whilst social distancing measures are in place. However, the successful candidate should anticipate the need to be able to work flexibly out of one of those offices in the future.
The role is anticipated to be full time (40 hours per week) with core working hours of 8.30 – 5 pm, Monday to Friday.
What the job looks like
The ADAS Sustainable Food and Farming team are looking to recruit a Senior Sustainable Food and Agriculture Consultant to support in the delivery of existing contracts and to develop and win projects of their own.
The Sustainable Food and Farming team at ADAS work across a diverse range of topics looking to enhance the environmental sustainability of the food that we consume. Our main focus is on improving practice on-farm, by helping food supply chains connect with their farmer supply base. We are looking for an individual with a good understanding of agriculture, an understanding of key sustainability issues affecting agriculture, and preferably some understanding of wider agricultural supply chains.
Key areas of focus for the team going forwards are in supporting the move towards Net Zero, and enhancing the carbon emissions reductions, carbon storage and sequestration that takes place on-farm to minimize the climate impact of agricultural raw materials. Other areas of interest include: improving productivity, understanding the value of pesticides, reducing water use, responsible sourcing, on-farm food waste and alternative proteins.
It is anticipated that the successful candidate will be someone with good general knowledge across a broad sphere of agriculture and sustainability, have the innovation and ideas to help clients develop solutions to their sustainability challenges and be able to work as part of a team to develop projects and other team members. They will act as a role model to support and train others within the team.
The delivery elements of the job will include project management of projects of varying sizes and levels of complexity; allocating tasks to colleagues and ensuring outputs meet client specification and deadlines. Specifically, the role will include developing methodologies, performing data analysis and interpretation, writing reports and editing the contributions of others, as well as working alongside other members of the senior team to ensure that all project deliverables meet the ADAS and RSK quality requirements.
The sales element of the role will include working with the senior sales team to support the identification of potential clients and setting up client meetings, developing solutions to meet client needs, drafting and preparing clear proposals and supporting in wider tendering opportunities.
It is expected that the successful candidate will have at least 5-7 years’ experience working in agricultural, sustainability or food supply chain consultancy.
- Qualifications: Degree in Agriculture, Biology, Geography or similar science-based subject area. Good GCSE maths, with maths A-level desirable. Further relevant qualifications such as a master’s degree in Sustainable Agriculture would be a benefit.
- Data analysis: Should have a good understanding of how to analyse large data sets in excel. In particular, we are looking for individuals with excellent attention to detail; who are able to look at datasets and spot odd or unusual values and interpret patterns in data. We need individuals who are able to enter and process data as well as check data that is entered by others to ensure that it is correct. It would be a bonus for candidates to be skilled in the use of macros (Excel), R programming language or other similar coding methods (Python) to support in the development of complex data analysis and simple modelling tools.
- Writing: The majority of our work is in the form of written reports to clients or written proposals to win work. It is therefore extremely important that the successful candidate is able to present messages in a clear and concise way to a range of different audiences (often non-technical). As a senior consultant, there is also the expectation that you will provide quality checks and edit work produced by others within the team.
- Communication: Candidates should have excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate emails in a clear and concise manner, effective presentation skills to present findings back to both technical and non-technical audiences, and strong interpersonal skills to build good working relationships with clients and other members of the team.
- Project management: The successful candidate will demonstrate experience of project management of a range of different project scales.
- Sales / Business development experience: Being able to demonstrate experience of winning work and developing new projects would be a benefit.
- Knowledge: The individual must have good knowledge of at least one agricultural production system: arable, horticulture, beef, dairy, pigs or poultry. They should have an understanding of the key sustainability issues affecting the system. Experience in assessing greenhouse gas emissions from crop or livestock systems using a range of different tools and an understanding of the key factors influencing the emissions from particular systems would be particularly favourable.
In addition, the candidate will need:
- Excellent computer and information system skills; in particular Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organisational skills, with the ability to work under pressure to client determined deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with the ability to contribute towards a positive team dynamic.
- A rigorous approach and attention to detail in both quantitative and qualitative research and analysis.
- A full driving licence will be required as will the need for occasional flexible working with regard to the type of work, timing and location.
- Proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
Salary and benefits:
- Salary will be within the range of £28,000-40,000 depending on experience.
- Contributory Pension Scheme – RSK will contribute a minimum of 3%.
- A flexible benefits programme including the option to buy additional holidays, cycle to work scheme and private health care.
- Regular training and career development opportunities through both formal training, including via an e-learning platform and on the job learning.
We recognise that staff are our most valuable asset and that their integrity, commitment and loyalty is vital to how we conduct our business, and to the long-term success of the company. As a company, ADAS wants to ensure you maintain a healthy work-life balance, with many opportunities for flexible working hours, locality flexibility, social activities, and community involvement projects. Career progression is important and there are plenty of opportunities within ADAS to develop new skills and progress through the consultant grades.
The company prides itself on providing its staff with a rewarding and challenging career, encouraging Continuous Professional Development, allowing employees to reach their full potential.
For more information and to apply, please visit the organisation’s website.