Salary: £20,000 – £23,000
ADAS is looking for a Field Research Scientist to join our Soils, Crops and Water team on a full time, permanent basis to be based out of our Boxworth, Cambridge office. This is an exciting opportunity for those with a genuine interest and looking to build a career in the horticulture, agriculture and the environment industries, addressing current challenges facing these sectors.
This is a practical field-based role working on scientific projects for clients focusing on efficient food production and related environmental issues in a sustainable industry. The role, although field based, will also require some laboratory and glasshouse working, alongside office-based duties.
You will specialise primarily in horticulture but will have the opportunity to develop skills and knowledge across the whole team, contributing to a suite of research projects across both horticulture and agriculture, involving crop Pathology, Entomology, Soils and Nutrients, and Weeds, embracing a “one team” ethos.
ADAS, part of RSK Group Ltd, is the UK’s largest provider of research and advice on agricultural and environmental issues. With over 75 years’ experience ADAS has an amazing track record of providing agricultural, horticultural and environmental consultancy & research expertise to an enviable range of clients both in the private and public sector.
- Deliver practical research for a range of horticultural and agricultural crops, predominantly in the disciplines of pathology and physiology
- Lead implementation of on-site field/glasshouse/polytunnel/laboratory work work and liaise with clients and colleagues to ensure on time delivery
- Manage projects ensuring key objectives and deadlines, are met, ensuring high levels of scientific credibility and client satisfaction are achieved
- Handle collection, aggregation, and routine analysis of data
- Strong work ethic and willingness to work, with inhouse and external training provided to meet the requirements of the role
- A full driving licence to drive manual vehicles in the UK is essential
- Flexibility – to travel within the UK and overseas
- Must be able to work flexibly due to the seasonal nature of the role, there will be a requirement to work overtime (evenings and weekends) during busy periods to ensure scientific objectives are met, and delivery within suitable weather conditions are optimised
- We are open to receive applications from those of a variety of educational backgrounds, from school and further education to those with higher level qualifications
Salary and Benefits
- £20,000 – £23,000 per annum, depending on experience overtime
- Life assurance
- A flexible benefits programme including the option to buy additional holidays, health cash plan and discounted gym membership
RSK Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer
More detailed job description attached
Working alongside landowners, farmers, and growers since 1946, we have been providing ideas, specialist knowledge, and solutions to secure our food and enhance the environment for over 75 years.
Our aim is to help address the challenges and opportunities faced by organisations working in food production and the natural environment, and we continue to thrive by attracting innovative thinkers into our workforce.
We currently have over 400 employees delivering solutions in 60 specialist subjects, making us the UK’s largest independent provider of agricultural and environmental consultancy, rural development services, research and development, and policy advice. Whether you want to work on national or international projects, we can provide a varied career in a wide array of industries and public sector services.
ADAS is part of the RSK Group, a leading integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services business providing dynamic, multidisciplinary services to a wide range of sectors. RSK was founded in 1989 and has grown considerably since then. In fact, Environment Analyst recently highlighted RSK’s growth commenting, “Few companies in the environmental services sector can claim to be expanding at the same pace as RSK.” Today, RSK Group consists of over 120 businesses and employs over 7,000 specialists. The group is headquartered in the United Kingdom and has an established presence in more than 40 countries around the world.